ARVADA, Colo. (KDVR) — Doing a simple load of laundry turned into a nightmare for an Arvada couple when their washing machine exploded.
“It shook our house. You could hear the blinds slamming,” said Mary, who asked that her last name be withheld.
The sound of the explosion was recorded by an interior security camera located on another floor.
“We thought a truck had hit the front of our house, something had fallen on a plane, or something had landed on the roof. It was so strong,” Mary said.
The couple showed FOX31 several sharp pieces of metal and plastic dislodged by the explosion. Water from the machine flooded the lower floor into a room designated as Mary’s office.
Warning about washing machine explosions
Although washing machine explosions are not common, the Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a warning in 2019 regarding certain top-loading machines manufactured between March 2011 and April 2016.
According to complaints filed with the commission, the problems usually occurred during the spin cycle.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission advises using the delicate cycle to wash bedding, water-resistant, and bulky items because the lower spin speed may decrease the risk of a malfunction.
The Better Business Bureau told Problem Solvers device owners they should check regular or extended warranties for comprehensive damage coverage.
“There may be language in the warranty that talks about a significant failure or a catastrophic failure. Look for that word: catastrophic,” said BBB spokesperson Dale Dixon.
The BBB said appliance owners should also confirm whether their plan covers food and lodging if necessary.
Note: The content and images used in this article is rewritten and sourced from kdvr.com